Asthma is one of the most common chronic illnesses in children. It causes many doctors visits and impacts the lives children can lead when not treated. The hallmarks of asthma are lung inflammation, hyperreactivity, and bronchoconstriction. Family history is a major risk factor for developing asthma. Other risk factors include smoke exposure, prematurity, pollution exposure, and obesity.
- Understand how frequent a problem asthma is and what symptoms it can cause in children
- Learn how physicians diagnose asthma
- Learn about the 3 components of asthma-inflammation, hyperreactivty, and bronchoconstriction- and how they create the symptoms of asthma
- Realize the triggers for asthma
- Understand the risk factors for developing asthma
About the Authors